Tuesday, August 14, 2012

pvc pipe- part 1





I have been pretty inspired to make a few PVC toys for the boys and I am still working out the process in my head as to what the finished product will be. In the mean time I pulled out a few pieces of PCV pipe that Husband had left over from a previous project. We had a 4' long piece that is 2" wide and a few pre-cut pieces  that are 2" long and 1.5" wide. My initial idea was to have them use it as a tunnel to roll a ball or a car in but we don't own any toys small enough. So I decided to pull out the good ol' pom poms.

The verdict: Though I really think rolling bells, balls, or cars would have been a little more entertaining (I feel like this project needed noise) It was still fun and W even came up with a game of shoving all  the pom poms into the smaller PVC pipes. He was very surprised to find them all on the floor after all his hard work.
B had fun shoving as many pom poms as he could into the longer piece that had a small bucket at the bottom of it to catch them. He also enjoyed trying to stack the smaller pieces and finally he took a turn at W's game.  Has anyone made kids toys with PVC?

16 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I've been scouring the net (and the p-site...) for toddler activity bag activities, even if they don't fit in bags, as we need a busy time box for the twins during homeschool time. This looks fantastic! And I'm off to the p-site to search for pvc toy ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never have, but it looks like fun. I do, however have the same pom poms but have yet to make use of them with my daughter. It's on my 'someday' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I have a few things on my some day list :)

      Delete
    2. a favorite pom pom game in my two year old class is to fill a small beach bucket with pom poms and a shovel, toddlers love to dump and fill. Have an additional bin so they can empty the bucket in there and scoop the pom poms back into the bucket. Or try using a ice cube tray and tongs for great fine motor skills and one to one correspondence as they have to place one pom pom in each place.

      Delete
  3. I love how you are just letting the children explore the materials for now. It will most likely help direct you as to what the potential is for new play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! *confession* I love love love your blog and have been reading it for years (secret reader never started commenting on blogs until recently) it feel so cool to have you visit my blog. Thank :)

      Delete
  4. Love this idea for smaller kids, yes we just made a kids car wash with pvc pipe.

    http://www.mommasfunworld.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-your-own-kids-tricycle-wash-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so absorbed and so busy. Wonderful.

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for such a nice idea using pvc pipes. I will surely try this with my 3 years girl. She loves playing with pom poms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A set of pipes looks like so much fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Blog!! Great Post !! Like your Blog and your ideas and i think its benificial for us and i keep to visit your blog regularly because i got lot of information through you blog

    Plastic Pipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi i have read your post and i think it's usefull.Thanks for the sharing this website. it is very useful professional knowledge.

    Abs pipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this article. It taught me so many things about pvc pipes.

    ReplyDelete