Monday, August 6, 2012

How I manage to cook dinner....sometimes





The boys take a long afternoon nap and when they wake up they are not always in the best of moods. They especially do not want to be away from me AT ALL!  The rest of  the afternoon is what I call my crunch time.  So what is a mom to do when you have two boys who need to be with you but you need to cook dinner? You sit them down next to you and put them to work.

On this day it meant coloring for B and for W it meant a simple activity with pom poms and two plastic containers. He really enjoyed placing them in the containers and dumping them out again and again. I actually found that this is the best time for W to do a sit down activity. And it's perfect because I am still next to them the entire time. This simple little routine has made all our lives a a lot better. The boys have fun and there are less fights and tears and I am still able to cook and enjoy watching them.  Now to think of more easy ideas for the afternoons.

*this post was part of the Mom's Library Link Up*

8 comments:

  1. The color pom pom's is such a genius idea!! I will have to try this with Chloe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun! I hope she likes it and be sure to link it here. I always love seeing other kids reactions

      Delete
  2. lolol oh googness i remember when my babies were as little as yours! you have cute kids. hang in there, dinner gets easier and easier. soon, they will be helping you make dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least there is hope that it does get easier:) Thank you!

      Delete
  3. So cute! Great ideas! I have a couple I need to share with you! They are a little messy some times, but I get SO much done! Thanks for sharing yours! By the way, I see you have a button... :) Do you want to do a button swap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring them on!!! I We aren't scared of messes and get stuff done in the mean time is an extra bonus. Yes let's swap buttons I would love to.

      Delete
  4. Does your son ever try to eat the poms? He really looks focused on his work :) What a fun activity. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He has tried to stick them in his mouth before. I quickly discovered it was NOT food. :) He is much more oral than his older brother at this age so I do have to keep an eye out.

      Delete