Friday, August 3, 2012

Indoor water play- Kid's co-op














This week is my first official week participating in the Kids Co-op. There are some pretty amazing ideas and I get inspired every time I read through them. 

With B's new found independence I have been looking into more Montessori type activities. Things that he can do on his own or to help around the house to gain self esteem from his new accomplishments. While we are in no way a 100% Montessori home there are a few activities that I think will  be fun to try. Our first attempt was a water pouring activity. B has been working on drinking from a regular cup lately so it felt fitting to try this. 

What we used :

two plastic drinking cups
one measuring cups

*in true Montessori you would not use plastic. (please feel free to comment to clarify if I am mistaken)

I set up his work table and the three containers with only one filled with water ( I only poured the tiniest amount at first) and showed him what to do. It took him a few tries and some spills to get the hang of it. Of course you get thirsty doing this so water breaks are a must. I had W attempt this too while in his highchair and I was surprised that he actually understood the concept. No water went into the cups but he did try to pour. He even successfully drank from a cup too.

I am not really sure where or how the paint brushes came into all this but next thing I know the boys were "painting" with the left over water. Sounds good to me.

The best part of this activity, it felt messy to them. They splashed and spilt and brushed and had a great time, and since it was just water, clean up was a breeze. It was the easiest un-messy, messy activity.

4 comments:

  1. oh how adorable! i love the picture with your kids drinking water! its priceless :) i found your blog through mbc and i really like yout blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am happy to hear you like it. I will be sure to check your blog out as well.

      Delete
  2. Looks like everyone is having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling little boys.

    ReplyDelete